[PD] converting decimal to binary

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 04:14:25 CEST 2006

On 7/3/06, padawan12 <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 00:23:47 -0400
> "Chuckk Hubbard" <badmuthahubbard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  Always 1 + the reciprocal of the previous ratio.  So you will never
> > quite reach the golden ratio, but you alternately go slightly higher
> > and slightly lower, getting gradually closer.
> >

> I forgot, what's the name for a curve that oscillates (asymptotically?) around
> a value converging on it, in the purest mathspeak?

Got me.  Curious if you find out.

> And I was thinking about this when playing with your microtone stuff Chuck,
> computing arbitary arithmetic sequences (as expressions) in Pd to some
> depth, like is [expr] the best way to think about that iyho?

Like to modulate continuously?  I think the best way to do that would
be to change the base frequency and keep the ratios simple, imho,
provided you don't intend to modulate back.  I don't know how it
affects the sound, but trying to modulate the way my patch does, with
numerator/denominator stored separately, sometimes leads quickly to
strange floating point errors in both that will never go away.
Or if you mean to sequence higher harmonics, then yeah, expression
seems like it would work well.  $f1 could be base frequency, and
$f2-$fn harmonics of it, outputting midi note numbers or frequency.
Either of those what you are thinking?