patch parameterisation: was [PD] abstractions which have their own memory

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jul 5 15:32:34 CEST 2006

Hallo,
cyrille henry hat gesagt: // cyrille henry wrote:

> Frank Barknecht a écrit :
> >Hallo,
> >(cc'ing pd-list)

> >That's actually exactly the setup I used when I was hit with problems
> >in netsend/netreceive: I'm using a physics engine and graphical
> >visualisation in one Pd, then connect this to another Pd which
> >functions as the synth engine. The synth-"patch" is very simple and
> >small, while most of the work is done in the other Pd. Physics is more
> >demanding than sound synthesis in this case.
>
> do you have exemple for this?
> with pmpd or msd, i was able to make most of the time patch with physics
> using very few CPU.

Actually I was more referring to patch size here, sorry for being
unclear. The cpuload of msd itself is very okay. (It's very high with
my experimental ODE-pyexternal, but that is to be expected from rigid
body physics. ;)

I'm mostly decoupling the two Pds because I don't want Gem to
interfere with the audio side. I'm still looking for a good way to get
all this into a satisfying package, because of course using netsend or
OSC timing information also becomes a problem,
especially non-blockaligned timing with vline~.

> i personnaly choose to avoid netsend / netreceive and compute everything
> in the same cpu/gpu. this is more optimised thant having lots of
> netsend/receive, so i've got better results when i have lot's of data
> for audio / video synthesys...

Hm, maybe I should try this again. I also did some optimisations on
the audio side recently, so running only one Pd might work again.

The good thing is, that this will just involve to replace netsend/OSC
or whatever with send/receive. ;)

CIao