[PD] abstractions which have their own memory

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jul 5 16:51:26 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Christopher Charles hat gesagt: // Christopher Charles wrote:

> most of my bagoftricks patches look radically different and i don't
> save copies of them with only some parameters changed. another bonus
> for me is ease of use, with clicking pd's save button, i save
> exactly what i'm working on at the moment, when i load it up later,
> it sounds the same. only one file to take care of.

If I press the "SAVE"-bang in my patches, all settings are saved as
well. But: I can use the same patch with two or more states, and I can
even change states on the fly. To me, this is a crucial advantage of
saving to an external file.

Of course to each his own, but pressing a different "SAVE" to save the
patch than to save the current state of the variable in my patch is no
problem for me.

Additionally: I'm using Subversion to keep track of past versions of
my patch. If the patch changes just because some sliders were moved,
this ould create a whole lot of different patch versions when in fact
the actual patch didn't change substantially.

Plus: I also manage state files in the same subversion repository. I
can go back to an earlier state there as well.

Ciao