patch parameterisation: was [PD] abstractions which have their own memory

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jul 5 18:06:57 CEST 2006

Hallo,
cyrille henry hat gesagt: // cyrille henry wrote:

> >(It's very high with
> >my experimental ODE-pyexternal, but that is to be expected from rigid
> >body physics. ;)
>
> well, one problem i imagine with ode is that regarding the algorythm
> used, time  need for each iteration could not be constant.
> i.e processing power depend of the curent state of the simulation.
> do you have such problem or not?

It is a problem in theory, yes, because contact joints get created
depending on the current position of objects etc. But in practice I
didn't hit it yet, which might be related to the fact, that using much
more than, say, 75-100 geometries is too much for my system anyway. ;(

But working with rigid bodies is very interesting, because for example
you can make bouncing balls that not only have position, speed and
acceleration (3x3=9) parameters, but they also have current
orientation, rotation speed and rotation forces. So even with just one
mass point, or rather: body one gets to use a lot more data to use for
control or audio processes (like using acceleration for volume and
rotation speed for frequency of an oscillator).

Ciao