[PD] data-s with math inside (feature request?)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Jul 6 11:54:20 CEST 2006

Hallo,
João Miguel Pais hat gesagt: // João Miguel Pais wrote:

> I'm working on a struct where I use the variable aa to calculate
> something, and the variable bb [bb == aa - 1] to display it (due to screen
> display). If I edit one of them with mouse-dragging is there a way to
> update the other one directly, besides building a get aa -> set bb circuit
> on the side (which has to be constantly triggered with a metro)?
>
> I can't remember anything. I think it would be good to have also these
> internal math applications on data-s, and / or a way to make some
> variables dynamically (and directly) linked with each other, so that they
> can be updated with no delays or other kind of external triggering (this
> is actually connected with my request a few days ago about a mouse-click
> detector for data-s. I think it would be a great improvement in terms of
> usability).

I don't think, blowing up the data structures with many more functions
(one could think of more than just math) is a practical approach, as
in the end it would mean to build a kind of second Pd inside Pd's data
structures.

As I see it, this is another case where some way to detect changes of
data in a ds-instance would help a great deal. There already is the
starting for this available with the [struct] object's outlet, that
sends a pointer, if an instance is selected in Edit mode. One could do
all math or list or symbol processing that Pd is capable of with this
pointer using normal Pd objects.

However there still is no way to detect a change outside of edit mode
and no way to detect changes through other means (though these
originate somewhere in Pd anyways and thus they can be intercepted
from there.)

Ciao