[PD] ssh - leaving pd running

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Jul 6 17:15:41 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Claude Heiland-Allen hat gesagt: // Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:

> nohup:   http://www.hmug.org/man/1/nohup.php
> screen:  http://www.hmug.org/man/1/screen.php
> xmove:   http://www.dreness.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=187
>
> Note: I've never tried any of these myself...

I did this with both nohup and screen to have Pd running without GUI
on a remote web and streaming server. Nohup is installed everywhere.
You just need to take care that you send the nohup command into the
background as well like:

$ nohup /usr/bin/pd patch.pd &
$ exit

Screen sometimes may be missing and you need to install it first.
Still screen is way more comfortable in the long run, as you don't
need to search for the Pd processes PID if you want to kill it etc.
Screen is just a terminal that never dies.

Just start a screen with:

$ screen
(screen)$ pd patch.pd
<press "Ctrl-a d" now>
$ exit

Pd will keep on running then. To reconnect just do:

$ screen -rd
(screen)$ <pd is still running here>
(screen)$ Ctrl-c
pd: exiting

I use screen for everything else as well: there's a "screen" with 10
windows running of every machine I own. ;)

Ciao