[PD] PD Mac-Intel: typing causes audio glitches

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jul 6 19:09:26 CEST 2006

I've been playing with Miller's experimental version for Intel OS X (see
http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/Software/pd-imac-test.mac.tar.gz )
and for the most part, it works great.

Some minor problems exist; for instance, the GOP dialog color selectors
don't display any color.  But one thing is driving me crazy, and I'm not
sure if it's specific to Intel-Mac, or if it's been a problem with PD on
the Mac before this (I'm switching from the Windows version):

Typing on the computer keyboard (e.g. to enter something in a number
box) after focus has just transferred to PD, makes a crunch or pop in
the sound right at the moment of the first key press.  Subsequent key
presses do not interfere with the sound, until focus is switched to
another app (or maybe even another PD window -- I can't reproduce this
very consistently) and then is returned to PD.

I've tried different latency settings and this has had no effect.

This seems like some bad interaction between the OS key-handling and
PD.  I suppose it could be some OS X external (like Dashboard) that is
causing this, but I thought I'd check the list to see if this behavior
is familiar to anybody before I start ripping apart my configuration.
Particularly, I'd like to know if this behavior has appeared on  PPC OS
X PD?

Thanks,

Phil Stone
pkstone....ucdavis....edu