patch parameterisation: was [PD] abstractions which have, their own memory

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jul 6 18:49:59 CEST 2006

This is a fascinating discussion, and I am amazed by the various and
ingenious methods of parameter persistence.  In fact, it's a bit of an
"embarrassment of riches".  I'm in the middle of designing a system for
live performance, and need to decide on which approach to take.  In
particular, I'm very impressed by Frank B.'s work, both on RRADical and
sssad.

Frank, could you comment on the difference between these approaches?  Do
you think RRADical is the way to go for the long run, or is sssad a
better path?  I'm interested in being able to recreate fairly complex,
polyphonic patches of my own design for use in live performance, and I
want to be able to control just about all aspects of the sound with live
or function-driven inputs (a tricky proposition when combined with
polyphony AND persistence).

I'm leaning towards sssad right now, because it has less reliance on
externals, and I'm limited to core PD for the time being (Intel mac).
But RRADical seems to embody a more ambitious and encompassing
philosophy about patching and persistence - do you still see it as viable?

Phil Stone
pkstone....ucdavis....edu