patch parameterisation: was [PD] abstractions which have, their own memory

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Jul 6 20:54:04 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Phil Stone hat gesagt: // Phil Stone wrote:

> Frank, could you comment on the difference between these approaches?  Do
> you think RRADical is the way to go for the long run, or is sssad a
> better path?  I'm interested in being able to recreate fairly complex,
> polyphonic patches of my own design for use in live performance, and I
> want to be able to control just about all aspects of the sound with live
> or function-driven inputs (a tricky proposition when combined with
> polyphony AND persistence).
>
> I'm leaning towards sssad right now, because it has less reliance on
> externals, and I'm limited to core PD for the time being (Intel mac).
> But RRADical seems to embody a more ambitious and encompassing
> philosophy about patching and persistence - do you still see it as viable?

Personally I use RRADical in my patches. It is more powerful and
mature compared to [sssad]. Expecially switching between presets on
the fly works flawlessly in RRADical, but it's tricky to do with
[sssad] and only pure-Pd objects currently. [sssad] however
deliberately is kept very simple and small. For example while the core
of RRADical/Memento is three abstractions - [commun], [originator] and
[careGUI] -  [sssad] is just a single abstraction (using some helper
patches inside).

So if you're stuck with plain Pd, you cannot use Memento currently,
but using [sssad] will make it easy to "upgrade" later. [sssad] is
very similar to [commun] and with some search and replace action it is
possible to replace one with the other:

All that is needed to convert a sssad abstraction to a RRADical
abstraction is this: [sssad $1/ABC] needs to become [commun /ABC $0]
and one needs to add an [originator $1 $0], that's all.

In theory the other way around works as well, but of course one looses
functionality.

For polyphony a good trick with both Memento and sssad is to use
abstractions that share the same $1-tagname. Attached is a little
example with sssad.

Ciao