[PD] pyext help, related to my other [netreceive]->[route] question

David Merrill dmerrill at media.mit.edu
Thu Jul 6 22:01:19 CEST 2006

Hello everyone -

So the larger story about my efforts today is that I need to do some
basic string processing that seems very difficult to do in PD, but easy
in Python. I'm trying to decide whether to use the pyext external (which
I finally got to compile last night), or to pass the text via UDP to a
separate python program for processing, using netsend and netreceive. My
questions about using [route] after netreceive come from my
implementation of the socket strategy. I am still trying to understand
how to [route] the output of netreceive and look forward to hearing from
anyone who has an idea about why it isn't working.  In parallel, I am
also exploring pyext, which at first glance seems like a more
straightforward way to go.

You might wonder why I'm bothering with sockets at all if I got pyext to
compile - the answer is that I am having a hard time finding examples of
doing some basic things with pyext. What I'd like to do is to pass a
message to my pyext object, such as:

[/home/myusername/wavs(

..and in the python code, look for wave files in that directory then
output each of them in turn, like:

"/home/myusername/wavs/a.wav"
"/home/myusername/wavs/b.wav"
"/home/myusername/wavs/c.wav"
(these will be sent into soundfiler, so they should also be messages)

So my questions include:
 - what is an appropriate python function definition for this? I have
tried def _anything_1, def symbol_1, def message_1, and none of them
work. I keep getting "pyext: message unhandled" warnings..

 - what is the appropriate way to output the result for [soundfiler]? As
I mentioned, I think it needs to be in [message( form..

thanks again!
-David M.

--
MIT Media Lab