[Pd] OT- Multi-System Networking (was Re: [Pd] splitting Pd on two processors)

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Thu Jul 6 22:27:34 CEST 2006

On Thu Jul 06, 2006 at 04:10:22PM -0400, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> On 7/6/06, sven <ml.sven at subscience.de> wrote:
> >At 19:26 06.07.2006, you wrote:
> >>So I traded that G3 for another from the stack.  Bits of plastic
> >>missing, but it works and has more room on the drive.
> >>I read online how one can network OSX and Windows with firewire...
> >>they call it "IP over Firewire":
> >>http://www.lifehacker.com/software/networking/geek-to-live-fast-one-wire-network-ip-over-firewire-173973.php
> >>But it's mentioned as a way to transfer files.  Does anyone know if
> >>this "network" method would work for running PD?  If so it seems like
> >>it would be the perfect way, for its speed...
> >
> >it's just 'normal' ip, so everything that works over an ip network, also
> >works over an ip-over-fw network (but only point-2-point)
> >it's around 4 times as fast as 100mbit ethernet, but slower than 1gbit,
> >so nowadays it isn't really of much use anymore when 1gbit is built-in
> >in most new comps and the cards are cheap.
>
> Interesting.  The literature I see says it is only really worth having
> with dual processors, that anything less uses a fraction of the gbit
> capacity.

i installed Gentoo onto a comp by chrooting into it booted into knoppix from a binpkg-loaded notebook thru a firewire cable. for some reason it was really slow. like 500K/second. dug up a crossover cable and it was much faster on the normal ethernet. driver issues i'd imagine. or NFS suckage. i would guess it doesnt handle >2 device situations very well, without a hub to manage collisions/etc?