[PD] starting up comport on windows extended test release

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Jul 8 05:54:48 CEST 2006

On Jul 6, 2006, at 12:46 PM, Martin Peach wrote:

> Nicholas Ward wrote:
>> i sent this yesterday but i dont think it went, apologies if it
>> did. anyway
>>
>> Hi,
>> Im a bit stuck here
>> On windows PD extended latest test release. If i create [comport 2
>> 9600]
>> it gives the error
>>
>> [comport] ** ERROR ** could not reset params to DCB of port 3
>>
> This message is emitted when comport tries to close a port and
> restore its previous values. Is this the actual text? Why is it
> printing "port 3" and not "COM3"?
>
>> [comport] invalid handle for COM
>>
> Probably the previous port doesn't exist. I wonder why it tries to
> close it.
>> strangely hans's pduino patch opens fine and pulls in data.
>>
> It has no effect on the new port, it was only trying to restore the
> old one to its original state.
>
>> Has comport changed in the way its created or am i over looking
>> something?
> I recently updated comport in cvs. I don't know if that's the
> version you're using. The new version has four outlets (for data,
> port number, DSR state and CTS state).

Its great that you added status outlets. How about having just one
status outlet?  Then it would output like: [port 3(, [dsr 1(, [cts 0
(.  You can then get the individual outlets easily by using a [route
port dsr cts].

Then it would also be very easy to add more status information
without breaking backwards compatibility.  It would be nice to have
things like connection status [open 1(, [baud 9600(, [devicename /dev/
ttyS(, [parity 2(, [stopbit 1(, [bits 8(, etc.

I've done it this way with [hid] and [usbhid] and it works quite
well.  It would be nice to have [comport] have a similar interface.

.hc