[PD] state object

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Jul 9 06:48:46 CEST 2006

On Jun 27, 2006, at 1:57 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> hi.
>
> for the impatient, there is a short summary of this mail in the PS
> clause.
>

>>> why does it not work with abstractions? i see zero reasons,
>> because:
>> [f]
>> |
>> [set $1(
>> |
>> [...(  <- this is the "memory unit"
>> will only be saved in a (sub)patch. this can't live in an
>> abstraction,
>> as hitting "save" on the main patch in fact does nothing to this
>> "memory"
>
> now i see a reason.
>
>>> as for vslider being too narrow:
>>> - you can make them fatter by just setting the width to something
>>> that
>>> fits your need.
>> I don't want to name by abstractions like a.pd, b.pd, etc...
>> and nor I don't want to make 50px wide sliders.
>> if you don't get what I am talking about, please see
>> http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2006-05/038312.html and
>> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
>> func=detail&aid=1491020&group_id=55736&atid=478073
>
> i still don't get it
>
>>> - you can use the iemgui's built-in send/receive-labels to
>>> "outsource"
>>> the logic to somewhere else where you don't mind the object's size.

>>> it is easy to save 1 state of your patch. it becomes really
>>> complex (and
>>> nifty) when you want to save multiple states. use memento or
>>> something
>>> for this.
>> when I have more free time I'll make an external for doing this...
>
> hmm, but why would you want to do this?
> long, long ago, there was the [state] external that did this.
> nobody uses it nowadays.
> there are other options, like memento, or sssad, or tables, or
> qlist/textfile/msgfile; what is wrong with them?
>
>> I can't believe pd can't have it's internal preset system.... MAX has
>> its (multiple)preset object, and almost all patcher dataflow software
>> have one... :|
>
> i didn't say it is a bad idea to have a preset system. that is why
> people have written such things; if i remember their names
> correctly, it might be "memento" and so on. (i should better turn
> off sarcasm mode)
>
>> maybe the pure-data API lacks functions for saving/restoring state of
>> *ANY* external (if the externals needs/wants this)?
>
> well, yes: afaik, Pd lacks an API for state-saving (btw: like any
> other programming language i know); thats is obviously the reason
> why there is no such object as you imagine it.
> the missing API was the biggest problem of [state]: günther tried
> some hacks to make it work nevertheless.

Pd does not lack a state-saving API, its called memento and its part
of rradical.  Just because its not written in C doesn't mean it
doesn't exist.  I would like to see a library of basic GUI objects
with built-in state saving for ease of use.  They could be just GOP
patches with memento in them.

.hc