[PD] starting up comport on windows extended test release

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Sun Jul 9 22:01:33 CEST 2006

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Jul 6, 2006, at 12:46 PM, Martin Peach wrote:
>
>> Nicholas Ward wrote:
>>> i sent this yesterday but i dont think it went, apologies if it did.
>>> anyway
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Im a bit stuck here
>>> On windows PD extended latest test release. If i create [comport 2
>>> 9600]
>>> it gives the error
>>>
>>> [comport] ** ERROR ** could not reset params to DCB of port 3
>>>
>> This message is emitted when comport tries to close a port and
>> restore its previous values. Is this the actual text? Why is it
>> printing "port 3" and not "COM3"?
>>
>>> [comport] invalid handle for COM
>>>
>> Probably the previous port doesn't exist. I wonder why it tries to
>> close it.
>>> strangely hans's pduino patch opens fine and pulls in data.
>>>
>> It has no effect on the new port, it was only trying to restore the
>> old one to its original state.
>>
>>> Has comport changed in the way its created or am i over looking
>>> something?
>> I recently updated comport in cvs. I don't know if that's the version
>> you're using. The new version has four outlets (for data, port
>> number, DSR state and CTS state).
>
> Its great that you added status outlets. How about having just one
> status outlet?  Then it would output like: [port 3(, [dsr 1(, [cts
> 0(.  You can then get the individual outlets easily by using a [route
> port dsr cts].
>
> Then it would also be very easy to add more status information without
> breaking backwards compatibility.  It would be nice to have things
> like connection status [open 1(, [baud 9600(, [devicename /dev/ttyS(,
> [parity 2(, [stopbit 1(, [bits 8(, etc.
>
> I've done it this way with [hid] and [usbhid] and it works quite
> well.  It would be nice to have [comport] have a similar interface.
OK, Hans-Christoph , I've modified comport the way you suggested (except
for devicename, which will be added soon, but not before a couple of
weeks). It's in CVS. Please let me know if it works or not...
Also I'm nearly done on a band-limited pwm object. Any suggestions as
to  which directory it should go in?

Martin