[PD] ssh - leaving pd running

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Jul 10 00:17:36 CEST 2006

On Jul 6, 2006, at 12:00 PM, james tittle wrote:

> On Jul 6, 2006, at 9:24 AM, dafydd hughes wrote:
>> Hey Linux gurus...
>>
>> I'm doing an installation this weekend where I'd really like to
>> set up
>> my Linux box and use ssh from my laptop to get a pd patch running,
>> then unhook the laptop, leaving the patch running, go home and come
>> back later to make adjustments or shut it down for the night.
>>
>> Thing is, I can't figure out how to disconnect without killing the
>> applications I'm running.  Is this possible?  Does anybody have
>> suggestions?
>
> ...how about setting up a vnc server on the installation machine,
> then using a vnc client to log into the computer?  I do this all
> the time on osx using "chicken of the vnc", but I'm sure there are
> comparable linux apps...

Using this script you can run Pd as a daemon:

scripts/debian/init.d/pd

That means you can do this kind of stuff:

/etc/init.d/pd start
/etc/init.d/pd stop
/etc/init.d/pd restart

You'll most likely need to use it in -nogui mode, but it does that by
default.  You can configure which user account pd runs as also.  If
you have root access, you can run pd as any user, otherwise you'll
have to run it as yourself.