[PD] Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC8-linux-i686 looking for libjack-0.80.0.so.0

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Jul 11 01:49:17 CEST 2006

We should keep this on the list since other people besides me can
answer this question, perhaps quicker too, and it might be of general
interest.

On Jun 23, 2006, at 6:01 AM, yvan vander sanden wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

>> That version was compiled on Debian/stable, so it looks for the
>> Debian/stable name and location for libjack.  I think you could
>> install libjack in the standard fedora way, then make a symlink
>> to  that file called libjack-0.80.0.so.0.
>>
>> Otherwise, there is a renewed effort to make RedHat packages (the
>> PlanetCCRMA ones are old and don't include much of what's in Pd-
>> extended).  You could help out with that to speed up the process.
>
> The problem can indeed be solved with this symlink, and about 5 or
> 6 other symlinks too. But pd still gives errors when trying to open
> audio. The problem occurs when i use jack or also when i use alsa
> directly. Strangely enough, it did not happen with the pd rpm from
> planetCCRMA. I was using the same version of alsa and jack back
> then. I still have to look into this. For now, i start pd with the -
> oss option

The PlanetCCRMA RPMs are built by Nando at CCRMA.  As far as I can
tell, they are quite old, the web page lists the version as
0.37.0-3cvs.  Plus there are only a small subset of the available
externals libraries there.

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/pdworld.html#pd

> I think i can make some effort helping with the RedHat packages. I
> guess i have enough knowledge of linux to do it, but i have never
> made rpm's before. If you can guide me a bit while working on it, I
> am happy to help.

Excellent!  You can get the source file for the Nando's PlanetCCRMA
RPM in CVS here: packages/redhat_rpm/pd.spec  I've never made RPMs
before either, but I think this list can probably help some.  I'll
bet Nando would be willing to answer some questions about it if that
means he can offload the maintenance of the Pd RPMs.

Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
related to the telescope.      -Edsger Dykstra