[PD] texturing with openGL objects

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Tue Jul 11 19:28:28 CEST 2006

hiya,

On Jul 11, 2006, at 12:50 PM, patco wrote:

>  your attached patch doesn't crash pd, it just seems to work even
> if I don't know yet what to do with it, because I would like to
> open an image file for texturing
> the openGL geos.
>
> I might have been confused during all the tests I've done because
> [GEMglLoadName] doesn't crash.
>
> I also believed that glLoadName could solve this image loading for
> glBindTexture problem, but apparently it's related to something else.

...yeh, glLoadName has nothing to do with loading textures from disk,
if that's what you were thinking:  use [pix_image] & [pix_texture]
for that...

> [GEMglGenTexture] crashes after object creation with the patch I
> have attached (I've added a "_" to not crash).

...yeh, I got a crash when trying it:  I'll have to look into why a
bit later...

> Without having any GEM documentation for openGL huge set of functions,
>  it's very difficult to find out how to make them working,
> then I am trying to follow openGL scripting tutorials and re-
> interpret them
> with GEM objects.

...well, there are two example patches in examples/09.openGL, but we
sure could use more...I've often wanted to create something like a
port of the "nehe" tutorials, but just haven't gotten around to
it...Ultimately, the best documentation for gem's opengl functions is
the "red book":  you won't get far without knowing the basics of Open
GL, and it's really well written...

>  This method often brings some errors,
>  and these errors are making harder to do something expected.
>
> I am suspecting that GEM is able to change openGL configuration,
> is that right?

...sure, the open gl wrapper objects allow for extremely rapid
prototyping, without recompilation...the other objects in Gem can
perhaps best be viewed as "shorthand":  they provide simplified,
abstracted interfaces to a whole series of typical graphics tasks,
like opening media (images, movies, models, shaders, etc.) and
setting up texturing and viewpoints...

> It would be very sympathic to have a place where we could share openGL
> patches, or a cvs folder, or a more consistent openGL folder in GEM
> doc...

...I've always thought that this is a very powerful side of GEM, but
it's true that it's under-documented...but then Gem in general is
under-documented, and it's a big to-do for us...of course, any help
is welcome!

> I am using the last windows version of gem, downloaded from
> official site,
> and didn't make some tests yet with the linux version.

...unfortunately, that version is waaaaay outta date:  we are
seriously remiss in not releasing "early and often"...so, your best
bet is to grab cvs and compile it yourself...

>  Also if any developper of Win32 last version of GEM is reading,
>   [hsv2rgb] doesn't work anymore.

...I think this was fixed in cvs a bit ago...

> many thanks for the attention, and for the attached patch.

enjoy,
jamie