[PD] converting decimal to binary

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Jul 11 20:48:42 CEST 2006

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006, Martin Peach wrote:

> Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>>> Got me.  Curious if you find out.
>> I don't think that there's a name for such a sequence.
> A limit cycle?
> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LimitCycle.html

No, a LimitCycle not only doesn't (generally) have a single Limit (the
concept exists for the case where an ordinary Limit is not enough), it
also can apply to cases where values don't "oscillate" around the Limit
points.

Padawan is talking about something that does always converge. E.g. he
might be thinking about exp(t)*sin(t) or sin(t)/t, neither of which have a
limit cycle bigger than 1 element, which means that they have a single
limit, and then calling that a limit cycle doesn't imply anything about
oscillations.