[PD] data-s with math inside (feature request?)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Jul 11 21:00:57 CEST 2006

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> As I see it, this is another case where some way to detect changes of
> data in a ds-instance would help a great deal. There already is the
> starting for this available with the [struct] object's outlet, that
> sends a pointer, if an instance is selected in Edit mode. One could do
> all math or list or symbol processing that Pd is capable of with this
> pointer using normal Pd objects. However there still is no way to detect
> a change outside of edit mode and no way to detect changes through other
> means (though these originate somewhere in Pd anyways and thus they can
> be intercepted from there.)

I want this *and* the ability to make custom renderers for those
structures. I mean, one should be able to make an abstraction that plays
the same role as [drawpolygon] yet uses [drawpolygon] as its
implementation, so that e.g. if I want to draw stuff in polar or log
coords (or anything else) I don't have to store both the "internal
coordinates" and the "apparent coordinates" in the object. The system
should also allow structures to respond to clicks in a user-defined way
which could be included in [drawpolygon]-like abstractions, or as a
separate object.

Those are again the same MVC ideas as developed at XEROX-PARC in the
1970's and which are getting popular in GUI design and web design these
years (finally).

A way of detecting changes is central to MVC and is called
Observable/Observer or Publish/Subscribe. However, MVC is more than just
that.