[PD] sending large arrays / soundfiles

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Thu Jul 13 04:41:29 CEST 2006

On Wed Jul 12, 2006 at 08:53:02PM -0500, Kevin McCoy wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm working on doing some granular stuff and whirling the sound around the
> room via multiple machines (2 outs each).  I want to record sound to an
> array and then get a copy of that array on each machine (there are 4
> currently) via a LAN.  From what I've read, OSC might not be the most
> efficient way to do this.

in order of what i'd try:

OSC burst/nonrealtime transfer of audio buffers in binary blobs: do any apps do this? is it going to choke liblo and/or pd's implementation? i think youd just have to try it, or check osc-dev. without the ability to stream or dump the raw 'bytes' of the buffer inside PD's patcher interface, you'll have to modify one of the OSC objects to read the table data directly unless you want to do something really slow like serialize to a bunch of floats

netjack (via jackd). latency is predictable (you choose)

streamin~/streamout~ (native) not sure if it reports latency at all

write tables to disk -> NFS/samba