[PD] sending large arrays / soundfiles

Kevin McCoy km.takewithyou at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 05:58:28 CEST 2006

Yeah, OSC is WAAAAY too slow for this, just for the record (I'm sure a lot
of people could have guessed that)... but it worked...  I'll work on getting
netjack now.  Thanks again.

Kevin

On 7/12/06, Kevin McCoy <km.takewithyou at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks - yes I should be using netjack for this, but I'm dirty and lazy so
> far on it.  I have gotten OSC to successfully transfer small arrays just
> now.  I'm just now about to try it with large arrays of sound data...
>
> Thanks for the suggestions!
> Kevin
>

> On 7/12/06, carmen <_ at whats-your.name> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed Jul 12, 2006 at 08:53:02PM -0500, Kevin McCoy wrote:
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I'm working on doing some granular stuff and whirling the sound around
> > the
> > > room via multiple machines (2 outs each).  I want to record sound to
> > an
> > > array and then get a copy of that array on each machine (there are 4
> > > currently) via a LAN.  From what I've read, OSC might not be the most
> > > efficient way to do this.
> >
> > in order of what i'd try:
> >
> > OSC burst/nonrealtime transfer of audio buffers in binary blobs: do any
> > apps do this? is it going to choke liblo and/or pd's implementation? i think
> > youd just have to try it, or check osc-dev. without the ability to stream or
> > dump the raw 'bytes' of the buffer inside PD's patcher interface, you'll
> > have to modify one of the OSC objects to read the table data directly unless
> > you want to do something really slow like serialize to a bunch of floats
> >
> > netjack (via jackd). latency is predictable (you choose)
> >
> > streamin~/streamout~ (native) not sure if it reports latency at all
> >
> > write tables to disk -> NFS/samba

"[D]aily life [is] a theatrical landscape in which 'everyone has their
price,' God (via televangelism) and happiness (smile buttons) become
commodities, radio stations say they love you, and detergents have
compassion for your hands.