[Pd] AGNULA buggy

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 17:51:16 CEST 2006

I just installed AGNULA DeMudi Linux on my 2nd hard drive, so that I
now have WinXP on the first HD, OSX on a G3, and Linux on the slave
drive in the Windows box, and PD running on all three.  I'm hoping to
gain experience in all three OSs.

I'm finding DeMudi really buggy though.  I guess it's just the little
things I've learned to work out in Windows but not here.  At times,
using Jack, the Jack icon goes red and I get a bunch of DIO errors in
Pd, and I find that I can no longer use any of the menu options in Pd.
 Obviously I'd like to avoid this, but I tried it again and can't
reproduce it.
When it happened, I closed and restarted Pd (thankfully I wasn't
actually working on anything) and in the Jack connections, the old
instance of Pd remained in the MIDI tab.

Also, my latency is higher than in Windows.  Pd starts up set to 50,
and by the time I have Jack, Pd, and Ardour open, I'm getting errors,
even with no patches open.
Is this common?  Are there settings I don't know about, or is Linux
inferior to Windows in this regard?

There are other times programs just don't start when selected in
Linux, and right now I have the Jack control open but the icon for it
has disappeared.  I've installed this same Linux distro 3 times in the
last day due to various problems.  It's the latest "stable" DeMudi,
with kernel 2.6.12-3.

-Chuckk

--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."