[PD] 3d boolean in gem

patco megalegoland at yahoo.fr
Fri Jul 14 18:17:34 CEST 2006

Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> a écrit :  On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, patco wrote:
> yukio  a écrit :  hi , in some tradicional 3d software like 3d studio max and cinema4d
> theres a fuction called boolean that enable for example  substract areas
> from a 3d object using another ..... for example if you have 2 spheres ,
> you can use one to substract an area of the second one, you can also add

> Hello, [pix_mask] might be what you are looking for,
>  You can find a gem exemples in >gem/exemples/04.pix/13.maskDancer.pd

>Excuse me. What's the link between what you suggest, and what was >asked?

  Hello,
   I was confusely thinking that we could try to replace an area of a
  geometrical object with another with modifying the texture of both,
  and assembling them,
  or adjusting the alpha values for doing a similar effect.
    But I've seen through some tests that this is maybe too tricky (for me at least and others certainly...),
   and thought after that there might exist easier solutions,
   like the one suggested which uses openGL functions dynamicaly.

   Also, the GEM shortands are often cpu wizer than many openGL
  fiddlings, some GEOs has just to be reviewed in my perspective,( but I might be wrong again) to be a lot more usefull for
  3D animating, like [polygon] or [curve3D] and having the possibility
  of interpreting vertices list from .obj files
   to put the points coordinates of these objects, still dynamicaly, but cpu
  wizer than triggering with [gemhead] an [until]  that bangs an  huge list of vertices and faces coordinates (and I didn't see the  interest
  of doing it in fact).

  Patco.