[Pd] AGNULA buggy

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sat Jul 15 07:33:01 CEST 2006

Hey Chuck,

A lot of stuff doesn't sound good here.

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 11:51:16 -0400
"Chuckk Hubbard" <badmuthahubbard at gmail.com> wrote:

> the Jack icon goes red and I get a bunch of DIO errors in
> Pd, and I find that I can no longer use any of the menu options in Pd.

Gut instinct - some other process is gobbling up CPU and your
X windows is doubleplusungood too. What says

~/.xsession-errors and /var/log/XFree86 and /var/log/messages ?

> When it happened, I closed and restarted Pd (thankfully I wasn't
> actually working on anything) and in the Jack connections, the old
> instance of Pd remained in the MIDI tab.

If you do a jack_lsp how do the ID numbers match with the connections
you see in the (old) connections list?

If you do a ps aux is there a zombie of the old pd-gui or pd?

What wm with DeMundi? I use fluxbox or blackbox - highly recommended.

> Also, my latency is higher than in Windows.  Pd starts up set to 50,
> and by the time I have Jack, Pd, and Ardour open, I'm getting errors,
> even with no patches open.
> Is this common?  Are there settings I don't know about, or is Linux
> inferior to Windows in this regard?

No, but Jack takes a lot more setting up afaics, I spent hours
tweaking my jack settings to get the latency vs xruns good. Sounds like
something on a bigger scale is the problem, maybe process management
or memory management not right.

> There are other times programs just don't start when selected in
> Linux, and right now I have the Jack control open but the icon for it
> has disappeared.  I've installed this same Linux distro 3 times in the
> last day due to various problems.  It's the latest "stable" DeMudi,
> with kernel 2.6.12-3.

Dont start? You checked for them in the process table? Or they just
don't launch a GUI?

2.6.12-3 sounds awfully modern, maybe that's got something to do with it.

That's my wild hand waving speculation for you. I don't know DeMundi
I always roll my own minimal Debian sys from apt-gets.

Grab PureDyne and use that liveCD to test out your hardware.