[Pd] AGNULA buggy

dafydd hughes dafydd at sideshowmedia.ca
Fri Jul 14 18:22:29 CEST 2006

Hey Chuckk

My knowledge is patchy, and it's likely some folks can give you better
advice here, but here's what I have to offer, as a DeMuDi user for
several years...

All your latency settings are done in Jack, and you should have no
problem getting the same or better performance out of Agnula than
Windows.  Make sure "realtime" is on in Jack setup (this makes a huge
difference), and make sure you have decent buffer sizes.  I think my
P4 2.4 can get less than 6 ms latency with no troubles.

Make sure you start pd with the -rt and -jack flags.

I sometimes get clicks when editing, but that's all.  Also, I think
DeMuDi stable has an oldish version of pd.  You might consider
compiling 0.39.  DeMuDi unstable is more up to date.

And to make matters worse, Ubuntu has a really good Pd package, and
while Agnula's easy to install, Ubuntu's _really_ easy to install.
The only thing is you don't get the realtime kernel, but Frank will
tell you you don't really need it with more recent kernel versions,
and I agree, at least in the case of my PC.  (thanks Frank)

Hope this helps, and I hope I'm not saying a bunch of stuff you already know.

cheers
dafydd

www.sideshowmedia.ca
www.myspace.com/dafyddhughes