[PD] [PD-announce] getpatchname

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Jul 14 20:17:05 CEST 2006

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Jamie Bullock wrote:

> I think [getpatchname] is better. Some people might think that
> [getcanvasname] returned the name of a [cnv].

[cnv] isn't a "canvas". Pd already has "canvas" written all over it as
synonymous to "patcher". The name of [cnv] is an aberration that better be
fixed ASAP, but it's been 5 years like that and it's still confusing
people and no-one does anything about it.

[cnv] doesn't allow to do *anything* that one may associate with what a
canvas can do, neither the existing pd canvasses, nor the existing tk
canvasses, awt canvasses, nor anything else in any other user interface
toolkit, and also it doesn't have anything to do with canvasses that are
used for painting on (which is the metaphor underlying all other meanings
of "canvas").

Because of that, I nickname [cnv] the "can'tvas", but really, I'd prefer
it having a name that makes sense and isn't a joke.