[PD] Key-repeat makes keyboard-pianokeys impossible?

Luke Iannini (pd) lukexipd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 05:54:14 CEST 2006

Hi all,
I am being ushered to sleep so I have little time to explain this in
detail, but hopefully that just means you'll all be spared tedious
detail that would obfuscate the issue : ).

I'm trying to build a simple computer-key piano such as the one in
Apple's GarageBand using the [key] object, and I'd like to be able to
hold the keys down rather than have single shot.  Key helpfully
provides 0/1 notifiers for keydown and keyup - but OS X's built-in
key-repeat makes it infinitely retrigger the keypress when held.  The
GarageBand keyboard does not do this, so I was hoping someone might
have some ideas on getting around this so I don't have to pull out my
(rather unportable) midi-controller when I'm patching on the road.

Thanks!