[PD] ERRORS IN Pd-0.39.2-extended-test4

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jul 17 15:44:26 CEST 2006

Hallo,
james tittle hat gesagt: // james tittle wrote:

> On Jul 17, 2006, at 2:47 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> >Hallo,
> >james tittle hat gesagt: // james tittle wrote:
> >
> >>...see if ya notice a pattern here:
> >
> >The pattern may be, that in Pd-extended objects additionaly have
> >different names than those, their developers gave them. I know why
> >this is so (namespaces etc.) but with externals and abstractions
> >developed outside of Pd-extended such things will happen.
>
> ...yeh, I'm not passing judgement on this one way or the other, it
> simply is (but isn't mentioned in, say, the Readme.html?), and
> definitely a loose-end, at that...

It is a loose end. For example, my collection of list abstractions is
installed in a directory called "list-abs" in CVS and in pd-extended.
I've seen some people use e.g. list-drip.pd like [list-abs/list-drip]
now, which not only is ugly because of the double "list", but also
creates problems for users, who don't have the directory above
"list-abs" in their path. "list-abs" actually was never intended to be
a namespace prefix, it's just the name of  this collection (the actual
name is "[list]-abs" to be really obsessed.) The real, old-style
namespace prefix is the "list-" in the name of every abstraction
included there. Many other older collections work like this, while
others do not.

If [list]-abs would get a directory prefix, it should be something
like "list" and the "list-" in the abstraction name should be dropped,
so only "list/drip" remains. But then one would *have* to use it like
that, otherwise it would nameclash with Zexy's [drip] and a lot of the
other list-objects in my collection would clash with other objects as
well.

Ciao