[PD] Key-repeat makes keyboard-pianokeys impossible?

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 19:15:05 CEST 2006

I don't see how it would be possible if, in OSX, repeated key-downs
are exactly equivalent to pressing and releasing the key over and
over.
Maybe there could be a sort of interrupt/hold time option like with
GUI bangs.  If there is less than a few milliseconds between events
with the same key number, they don't count.
-Chuckk

"What moves men of genius, or rather what inspires their work, is not
new ideas, but their obsession with the idea that what has already
been said is still not enough."
-Eugene Delacroix

On 7/17/06, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:

> This is a known bug on all platforms, it has to do with the
> implementation of the [key] object.  It would be nice to have it
> fixed to provide a proper key-down and key-up message instead of that
> pulsing.  Any volunteers?
>
> .hc
>
> On Jul 16, 2006, at 11:54 PM, Luke Iannini (pd) wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I am being ushered to sleep so I have little time to explain this in
> > detail, but hopefully that just means you'll all be spared tedious
> > detail that would obfuscate the issue : ).
> >
> > I'm trying to build a simple computer-key piano such as the one in
> > Apple's GarageBand using the [key] object, and I'd like to be able to
> > hold the keys down rather than have single shot.  Key helpfully
> > provides 0/1 notifiers for keydown and keyup - but OS X's built-in
> > key-repeat makes it infinitely retrigger the keypress when held.  The
> > GarageBand keyboard does not do this, so I was hoping someone might
> > have some ideas on getting around this so I don't have to pull out my
> > (rather unportable) midi-controller when I'm patching on the road.
> >
> > Thanks!

> I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and
> during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man
> for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      - General
> Smedley Butler

"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."
-Theodore Roosevelt