Namespacing [was: Re: [PD] ERRORS IN Pd-0.39.2-extended-test4]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jul 17 19:52:45 CEST 2006

Hallo,

> There are no classes that have different names in Pd-extended AFAIK.
> There are namespaces, which aren't part of the class name, but can be
> part of the name of an instantiated object.  In terms of the "list-
> abs" library, its your library, call it whatever you want.  I just
> took the name from CVS since almost all libs in CVS are in a folder
> with the same name as the library.

No problem, it's okay the way it is. IIRC I wrote the
Makefile-installation for list-abs myself. My problem only occurs if
someone uses list-abs-abstractions without "loading" the library using
-path or -libdir, because using an arbitrary prefix is inconsistent
with the documentation, help- and example-patches and it will break
right-click help on systems without libdir patch.

> Classname prefixes like "list-", "gem_", "cxc_", etc. are deprecated
> and ugly in my opinion.  Can we all agree on that at least?

Not quite yet. But as soon as your libdir-patch is in main Pd, I would
agree. From an aesthetic point of view, "list/drip" is on the same
level of ugliness as "list-drip", however. And in most cases omiting
the prefix - be it a directory or a filename prefix - makes no sense
for list-abs anyway as many intentionally mimick builtin objects like
list-makefilename etc. These won't work without some kind of prefix.
(Gridflow's "#" is a similar case.)

Ciao