[PD] Key-repeat makes keyboard-pianokeys impossible?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jul 17 20:04:10 CEST 2006

Hallo,

> This is a known bug on all platforms, it has to do with the
> implementation of the [key] object.  It would be nice to have it
> fixed to provide a proper key-down and key-up message instead of that
> pulsing.

I don't see that it's a bug in the [key] object. The operating systems
I know all provide autorepeating keys: If you press and hold a key, it
will start to generate keyup/keydown messages after a while with a
certain frequency. On X11 this can be changed with the "xset" command.

Now what Garageband probably does is disable this key-repeat if
Garageband has the focus, and enables it again, if the focus is lost
or if an entry field gets the focus.

However this won't work in Pd: We cannot disable autorepeat everytime
Pd has the focus, because that would make editing uncomfortable to say
the least and for some applications autorepeat is useful outside of
edit mode as well. So it's not something, [key] could fix. The
solution is to leave it up to the user to take care of his/her
autorepeat settings for example with "xset" (and [shell]).

An external to change autorepeat settings from inside Pd would be
nice, tough.

Ciao