[PD] OT: Computer music grad school

David Merrill dmerrill at media.mit.edu
Mon Jul 17 23:37:37 CEST 2006

Hi Chuck -

You should check out the CCRMA program at Stanford. I was a graduate
student in computer science student, but I spent a lot of time with the
CCRMA community, and I took much of the coursework that a masters
student in their 1-year "Music, Science, and Technology" would take. MST
students are formally in the music department, but get a good dose of
synthesis techniques, algorithmic composition, and signal processing -
along with elective options where they can explore controller-building
and human-computer interaction, perceptual audio coding, acoustics, and
other topics. I think there's a course on music cognition, and the
symbolic systems program also at Stanford features some connections
between music and psychology/perception.

here is the description of the 1-year masters program at CCRMA:
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/info/mst-info.html

I think that you could connect these technical topics very tightly to
musical studies, and the degree to which that's done varies from student
to student, based on interest. One year feels like a short amount of
time to absorb all of this technique and do creative work with it (this
observation is based on conversations with students in the program), but
Stanford is on the quarter system - so you get three rounds of courses
rather than 2 that you'd have with semesters.. The facilities are good,
some of the pioneers of computer music/sound are there (and others come
through to visit fairly regularly), and the community is dynamic and
stimulating. Let me know if you want any other info - and there are
undoubtedly other CCRMA students/grads on this list, since PD is a tool
of choice in the music controllers class.
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/courses/250a/

cheers,
-David Merrill

--