Namespacing [was: Re: [PD] ERRORS IN Pd-0.39.2-extended-test4]

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Jul 18 02:00:52 CEST 2006

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Frank Barknecht wrote:

>> Classname prefixes like "list-", "gem_", "cxc_", etc. are deprecated
>> and ugly in my opinion.  Can we all agree on that at least?

Hans, I agree that it is your opinion.

> Not quite yet.

More like: never.

> But as soon as your libdir-patch is in main Pd, I would agree.

Why?

> From an aesthetic point of view, "list/drip" is on the same level of
> ugliness as "list-drip",

Which may mean that neither is ugly? unless you try importing "list/drip"?
when one is not importing, both namings are pretty equal, except that the
former enforces the use of a directory or symlink.

If you really want something ugly, try "list/list-drip".

> And in most cases omiting the prefix - be it a directory or a filename
> prefix - makes no sense for list-abs anyway as many intentionally mimick
> builtin objects like list-makefilename etc. These won't work without
> some kind of prefix. (Gridflow's "#" is a similar case.)

Exactly. This is using analogy as a mnemotechnic device: if one can't put
both similar behaviours in one class, the next best thing is to use naming
that is similar and predictable.