Namespacing [was: Re: [PD] ERRORS IN Pd-0.39.2-extended-test4]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Jul 18 07:15:23 CEST 2006

On Jul 17, 2006, at 1:52 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> There are no classes that have different names in Pd-extended AFAIK.
>> There are namespaces, which aren't part of the class name, but can be
>> part of the name of an instantiated object.  In terms of the "list-
>> abs" library, its your library, call it whatever you want.  I just
>> took the name from CVS since almost all libs in CVS are in a folder
>> with the same name as the library.
>
> No problem, it's okay the way it is. IIRC I wrote the
> Makefile-installation for list-abs myself. My problem only occurs if
> someone uses list-abs-abstractions without "loading" the library using
> -path or -libdir, because using an arbitrary prefix is inconsistent
> with the documentation, help- and example-patches and it will break
> right-click help on systems without libdir patch.
>
>> Classname prefixes like "list-", "gem_", "cxc_", etc. are deprecated
>> and ugly in my opinion.  Can we all agree on that at least?
>
> Not quite yet. But as soon as your libdir-patch is in main Pd, I would
> agree. From an aesthetic point of view, "list/drip" is on the same
> level of ugliness as "list-drip", however. And in most cases omiting
> the prefix - be it a directory or a filename prefix - makes no sense
> for list-abs anyway as many intentionally mimick builtin objects like
> list-makefilename etc. These won't work without some kind of prefix.
> (Gridflow's "#" is a similar case.)

Actually, the libdir stuff doesn't need to be a patch.  Its on my
TODO list to make it a loader using the loader module functionality
that Thomas added.  I guess I should bump it up on the TODO list...

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and
during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man
for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      - General
Smedley Butler