[PD] Key-repeat makes keyboard-pianokeys impossible?

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Jul 18 11:59:30 CEST 2006

hallo frank

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 10:06 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Roman Haefeli hat gesagt: // Roman Haefeli wrote:
>
> > on windows i measured a grid of ca. 11ms, or in other words the time
> > between two key-events is a multiple of 11ms. on linux (ubuntu dapper
> > without changing any settings) i measured a grid of 85.333ms. is this
> > because of my x-settings or is pd on linux polling events only all
> > 85.333ms?
>
> It's because of your settings. Try "xset q" to see the current
> settings for autorepeat, and "man xset" for how to change them.
> Probably Gnome has a GUI tool for that as well, but leaning xset is
> good, too, because you could use it in [shell]
>
> Ciao

the output of  'xset q' tells me:

auto repeat delay:  500    repeat rate:  30

these values seem to have nothing to do with the 'polling frequency' or
how often keyboards events are received in pd from
[key]/[keyup]/[keyname].
also when i hit a [bng] with the mouse, the timer measures allways a
multiple of 85.333ms, which has nothing to do with the auto-repeat
setting of the keyboard, or does it?
this value seems to be quite big for a program that is used in a musical
context.

does anybody else measure a different value on his system and knows how
to change it?

"measurement"-patch:

[bng]

[t b b]