[PD] OT: Computer music grad school

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 22:53:18 CEST 2006

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of list I wanted.
I may not be able to get into or pay for any of these schools, but I
want to give myself the benefit of the doubt and give it a shot.
-Chuckk

On 7/17/06, Miller Puckette <mpuckett at imusic1.ucsd.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I teach at one of these, so I won't presume to give an unbiased comparison,
> but the Really Good Places that do both music and computer music research
> would include:
>
> UCSD, UCB, UCSC, McGill, MIT Media Lab, Stanford, Princeton, NYU, Columbia,
> Carnegie-Mellon and, as of lately, Harvard.
>
> My apologies to any I've left out unjustly; lists like this are never complete.
>
> cheers
> Miller
>
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 05:48:15PM -0400, David Merrill wrote:
> > p.s. a follow-up on my recent reply - you can also do a PhD at CCRMA, if
> > you want to go deeper and have more time to spend...
> > http://ccrma.stanford.edu/info/phd-info.html
> >
> > Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> > >Hi.
> > >I am entering senior year as a composition major, at Univ Arts in
> > >Philly.  I'm interested in going to grad school for computer music,
> > >and I want a little more of a challenge.  I like freedom to pursue
> > >lots of things, but at my current school that has meant pursuing
> > >things the faculty can't really help me with.
> > >Ideally, I want a good mix of computer and musical studies.  I am
> > >interested in learning all I can about computers, but I don't want to
> > >abandon "traditional" things like melody and themes.  I've tried to
> > >learn C in the past, but I can't justify spending lots of time on it
> > >while studying here.  It's mostly live performances, and mostly jazz,
> > >here.
> > >
> > >I've checked out some stuff about UCSD, and their including of music
> > >cognition as an actual field of study is great, it's my other favorite
> > >subject.  Not so big on algorithmic composition, but I'd be curious.
> > >Does anyone have any recommendations for other places I should check
> > >out?  I'm willing to relocate, considering I would probably have to.
> > >
> > >Thanks.
> > >-Chuckk
> > >

> > --
> > MIT Media Lab
> > dmerrill at media.mit.edu

"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."
-Theodore Roosevelt