[PD] $-Dollar sign variables instantiation

Kevin McCoy km.takewithyou at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 18:31:30 CEST 2006

Hi Brien,

I got some help on a similar problem a while ago - check this out:

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2006-06/039027.html

The basic idea is that in order to use $2 and on, you have to pack the
elements into a list.  Then when you send that list into an object, you can
start accessing more than just $1.  In the dollarsign example it's not very
clear, but it makes more sense here:
http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/Pd_documentation/x2.htm#s6.5<http://crca.ucsd.edu/%7Emsp/Pd_documentation/x2.htm#s6.5>

There are a couple of things I'm not mentioning - if you use "subpatches"
(abstractions) you can specify creation arguments.  That's what the
dollarsign example in the control examples is doing.  But it sounds like you
just need to pack into a list.

Good luck,
Kevin

On 7/19/06, briencrean at eircom.net <briencrean at eircom.net > wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> This is my first question, I am a newbie. I apologise if this has been
> asked before I have tried to find the answer in the archive and
> documentation but to no avail.
>
> I have attached a simple patch below in txt format. I dont understand why
> when using the 'symbol' object I can instantiate the $1 variable to a string
> and when I try the same with the $2 variable it says "error: $2: argument
> number out of range".
>
> My hope is to use the $1 and $2 as part of a message for a read message
> for the 'soundfiler' object so that I can read multiple sound files into
> multiple tables using a text file (which will contain the sound file names
> and table name).
>
> #N canvas 406 51 458 308 12;
> #X msg 229 22 word2;
> #X obj 98 176 print \$1;
> #X msg 74 23 word;
> #X obj 105 89 symbol \$1;
> #X obj 235 87 symbol \$2;
> #X msg 109 135 \$1;
> #X msg 224 137 \$2;
> #X obj 226 177 print \$2;
> #X connect 0 0 4 0;
> #X connect 2 0 3 0;
> #X connect 3 0 5 0;
> #X connect 4 0 6 0;
> #X connect 5 0 1 0;
> #X connect 6 0 7 0;
>

> Thanks for your help
>
> Brien

"[D]aily life [is] a theatrical landscape in which 'everyone has their
price,' God (via televangelism) and happiness (smile buttons) become
commodities, radio stations say they love you, and detergents have
compassion for your hands.