[PD] GEM OSX video codec ?

tim info at timvets.net
Mon Jul 24 18:40:01 CEST 2006

I have to make a patch that basically plays back some video with some
extras.
Fairly simple, were it not that the video has to be in the highest
possible resolution.
I've been trying out many export settings from iMovie.

At first, some codecs loaded properly but were played back very slowly
or made pd hang.
One low resolution file played back fine.
Now for some reason, all *.mov files I try to load in pd give the same
error:
"couldn't open the movie file: 1_lkj.mov (-2020)
GEM: pix_film: Loaded file .... with 0 frames (0x0)"
I tried [pix_movie] as well as [pix_film] (is there a difference?).
they play back fine in QuickTime Player.

It  may have been discussed before, but I couldn't find an answer on the
list:

-Wich codec do I use for playing back high quality video in OSX / pd / Gem ?
-how come all video files are rejected, even the ones that worked before ?

The platform is OSX (version 10.4.7) on a macbook pro (intel core duo) ,
pd version 0.38.4-extended-RC8.
The patch should also be able to run on a G4 iMac afterwards.

thanks!
Tim