[PD] bad radio receiver ?...

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 24 19:10:07 CEST 2006

oliver wrote:
> hi, list
>
> maybe someone here on the list has done this before...
>
> i'm looking for an "easy" way to distort audio the same way a bad FM
> or AM receiver does.
> i don't just want to crossfade the original audio with some random
> noise, but i want the actual interference-results i get when the dial
> of a radio station gets slightly out of signal.
>
> anybody knows how to do this ?

For AM, it's like ring-modulation: you multiply the signal with the
output of an [osc~] whose frequency is proportional to how out of tune
the radio is. To me FM just sounds noisier when it's off-station. (the
effect should be to add a DC offset to the sound, thereby limiting the
dynamic range) I would maybe clip the signal according to the amount of
detuning and add/multiply some low-frequency noise. Then add some noise
bursts from the nearby electrical equipment and thunderstorms...

Martin