[PD] Open Call Locus Sonus Audio Streaming

jerome joy homestudio at thing.net
Tue Jul 25 02:05:49 CEST 2006

Hi PD-list readers,
______________________________________

OPEN CALL | LOCUS SONUS
http://locusonus.org/
August 2006

Open Call to participate in the Locus Sonus Audio Streaming project !!

* This is a call from the French based Audio in
art research group Locus Sonus to participate in
their streamed soundscapes open web-mike project.

* Open an ogg audio stream from your home or
garden (no pre-recorded playlists please) and
become a remote member of the Locus Sonus
orchestra.

* Locus Sonus proposes to use the sound from your
environment as raw material for their
installations and performances. As an added bonus
all streams will be made available on a web page
so that you can do your own international mix at
will.

* We are hopeing to obtain a variety of streams
from diverse and exotic locations, the
imaginative potential of the project and it's
future development depends on diversity and
richness the streams you propose. We will be
happy to discuss artistic and technical issues
with you.

* To participate in this project, contact support at locusonus.org

* To listen to the streams already available click here:
http://nujus.net/~locusonus/site/streams/index.html

* To download a PD patch and start streaming click here :
(password required: contact support at locusonus.org)
http://nujus.net/~locusonus/site/streams/download.html

* To see video documentation of our previous
presentations and to find out more about Locus
Sonus in general, click here:
http://locusonus.org/

NEXT PUBLIC EVENTS
Presentations start from 15th to 30th of August
in various performance and installation
situations, starting with DIGIT Delaware Delaware
Valley Arts Alliance & Roebling Bridge
Environmental Arts and LMCC (Lower Manhattan
Cultural Council) in partnership with THE THING
Inc. (New York) with the support of Étant Donnés,
The French-American Fund for Contemporary Art.

Presentations continue in the fall with an
installation during the Arborescence festival in
Aix-en-Provence, France, and an installation
performance at GMEM, Marseille France.

Festival DIGIT: http://www.artsalliancesite.org/programs/digit_06.html
LMCC: http://www.lmcc.net/
THE THING: http://bbs.thing.net/
Arborescence: http://www.arborescence.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=3
GMEM: http://www.gmem.org/

TECHNICAL DOC

We presume that members of the PD list will have
no problem in opening the patch and streaming
however just in case here are some technical tips:

To Start Streaming You will Need :

* a PC or Mac dedicated to the stream (an old 450 MHz machine should do).
* a sound card recognized by your operating system.
* a microphone (3$ radioshack mike is fine).
* streaming software (we propose that you
download our PD patch
http://nujus.net/~locusonus/site/streams/download.html
and run it (link) using PureData :
http://at.or.at/hans/pd/installers.html that way
you can customize your stream (for osX, Windows
and Linux). We recommend that you use this Hans
Christoph Steiner's extended version which
includes the necessary ogg vorbis libraries.
* a high speed internet connection and a network router.

We obtained the good results using the Dyne:bolic Linux distribution
http://www.dynebolic.org/
The advantage being thats it's a liveCD (so you
don't have to install the system) and that PD and
all the necessary externals are already
installed. You might run into difficulties if the
system doesn't recognize the PCs built in sound
card in which case the easiest option is to find
an old soundblaster card and disactivate the
built-in card in the bios.

It's important for us to get a wide range of
soundscapes and social situations, remember that
urban sound is pretty similar around the western
world so you might want to chose to place your
microphone so as to capture interesting or unique
aspects of your environment and also to listen to
the other current streams to caracterize yours.

We are also finding that in most circumstances it
is preferable to customize the patch, sometimes a
little filtering is all thats needed (as for
example: port.ogg) but we've also built a
sampling patch which records and plays back
recent sound events continually updating its
database (as for example: cap15.ogg).

Listen to the current streams:
http://nujus.net/~locusonus/site/streams/index.html

Locus Sonus Lab
Nicolas Bralet, Jerome Joy, Esther Salmona, Peter
Sinclair, Lydwine van der Hulst
http://locusonus.org/

: