[PD] 3d boolean in gem

patco megalegoland at yahoo.fr
Fri Jul 14 18:25:46 CEST 2006

Hello
   I've made a patch that creates GEMglvertex3f  dynamicaly, it's attached,
  and needs a little fix I didn't have time to do (it's about attributing default coordinates).
   Do you think it's a good idea? Anyone did this before?
    In other words, am I loosing my time with making these kinds of abstractions?

  Patco.

Alexandre Quessy <listes at sourcelibre.com> a écrit :  Hi,

A  good idea would be to make a library of Gem abstractions using openGL  functions, dynamic objects creation and the [repeat] and [any] objects.

Then, we could use lists of  3D vectors, do arithmetics on them, and render it at the end of the chain.

Such a library could be named extensions/dyngems. Any people in the room wants to work on this ?

--
Alexandre Quessy
http://alexandre.quessy.net

On 7/13/06, james tittle <tigital at mac.com> wrote:  hi,

On Jul 13, 2006, at 5:33 AM, yukio wrote:

> hi , in some tradicional 3d software like 3d studio max and cinema4d
> theres a fuction called boolean that enable for example  substract
> areas
> from a 3d object using another ..... for example if you have 2
> spheres ,
> you can use one to substract an area of the second one, you can
> also add
> 2 3d object or visualize just the intersection of both objects.....
> my question is .. is it possible to make something like this in Gem
> with
> geos?
> for example substracting an  area of a geo with a second one?

...what your looking for is called "constructive solid geometry" (1),
and it's not natively supported in GEM:  in general, GEM's strengths
are not as a traditional "modeler"...GEM allows fairly low-level
access to 3D OpenGL operations which could be used to create your own
CSG patches, but you'd have to do the math for the primitives and
intersecting in pd, and then use GEM to upload the vertices and view...

james