[PD] Pd standalone instruments ...

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 08:33:23 CEST 2006

On 7/21/06, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:
> Hallo,
> Tas Pas hat gesagt: // Tas Pas wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if there is any way to export a pd instrument so it can operate in a system without pd ot self.
>
> There is no Pd without Pd. But Pd is free, so you can bundle Pd with
> your patch.

Alas, most of the people I work with aren't willing to install this
cryptic-looking program and go through figuring out how to set up
their soundcards and set up external libraries... I wish I could just
say fooey on them, but I probably shouldn't.

I am a total noob when it comes to programming in C, but doesn't it
follow that if Pd is in C and open-source, it would somehow be
possible to extract the part of the program that executes passes and
the GUI, and then replace the objects and connections, etc., in a
patch with the appropriate C code?  Alternatively, to remove all of
the objects *not* used in a particular patch from the source, then
hack the startup-option-reading code so that it loads a certain file
by default?  I suppose the average user would also like if the PD
window were invisible, controlled entirely by menus.  Again, I'm not
in a position to say fooey on those people; maybe you all can say it
for me.
This is just speculation, because I'm nowhere near being up to this
task, but wouldn't it also be possible to write a program/external
that would perform this conversion automatically?  I imagine it would
be a bear to set this up, but it would theoretically only have to be
done once to be usable by everyone.  It would drastically change how
PD is used.
Would doing this violate the copyright, if the copyright messages were
all left intact, and maybe supplemented?  (just asking- if so
nevermind!)

-Chuckk