[PD] Pd standalone instruments ...

Piotr Majdak piotr at majdak.com
Wed Jul 26 15:05:02 CEST 2006

Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> The people who might use my patch are other composers interested in
> alternate tuning systems.  For the most part they are not computer
> people.  "Cryptic-looking" isn't a bust in the slightest, it is how it
> comes across, when I send an email to a composer to tell him how to
> use my patch, and I have to devote several paragraphs to telling him
> how to first get a couple of external libraries loaded and make sure
> it selected the right sound device.  Again, I would love to tell him
> "tough, learn something about computers if you want to use it," but
> that would impede my possible future lessons with him.

At the institute where I work, some people have no idea how to use pd. So, they
just start a START-ME.bat file and control the application (=pd patch) via OSC
using an interface they are used to. To instal pd on a new machine, I use a
self-extracting .exe file, which extracts pd, all required externals and patches
to C:\pd - it's a dirty method but everything is predefined this way and the
package works on almost every windows machine.

You can even start pd with the -nogui option, so your user won't even know it's
there (beside the DOS-window poping out...).

br, Piotr

--
Piotr Majdak
Institut für Schallforschung