[PD] Pd standalone instruments ...

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jul 26 16:12:36 CEST 2006

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>  >
>  >> what might be a good idea though, would be a king of "kiosk" mode,
> where
>  >> the pd-main window is not present and where there are no menus at all
>  >> (so you would have to control pd via messages).
>  >
>  > I think menus could stay.  Menus are ubiquitous.  But it seems the
>  > only need for a Pd-window is debugging, or of course analysis and
>  > such; there are times when it's needed, but there are times it isn't.
>
> on my side, i (and my non-freaky composers) had never a problem with the
> additional main-window.
> the menus however, are really there for handling pd (the framework) and
> NOT your application (patch).
> if there is NO menu, you can build your custom one (either with special
> widgets like [popup] or with normal [bng]s.

i have committed a patch to the current CVS-pd which implements such a
kiosk mode as i like it:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1529010&group_id=55736&atid=478072

it does:
disable the main window
disable menus in the patch-windows
disable keyboard shortcuts (like Ctrl-q or Ctrl-s)
write to stdout

to enable this feature, start pd with "-kiosk" and don't forget to tell
pd which file it should load (as you have no more chance to open it
without any window)

caveats:
  - no way to open another patch (no Ctrl-o)
  - when the last window is closed, pd keeps on running (kill it with
Ctrl-C on the shell)

most changes are really in u_main.tk (aka pd.tk); the only changes in
the 2 .c-files are there for parsing the new flag and enabling kiosk-mode.
people who want to try it out without having to recompile pd, can edit
line 35 of u_main.tk, to set "pd_kiosk" to 1. (and copy the new
u_main.tk to bin/pd.tk)

mfg.adsr.
IOhannes