[PD] Pd standalone instruments ...

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Thu Jul 27 09:37:33 CEST 2006

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 18:17:25 +0200
Andre Schmidt <andre at osku.de> wrote:

> i thought pd is an "environment"... :/

Semantics. Nomenclature. I don't see these boundaries myself. That's my view
as a software engineer and computer scintist, not as a Pd "user" - in that
capacity it's more than adequate as an "environment".
I see a "software development environment" without the
last mile, a bit like a bridge that goes 9/10 of the way across a river.

Right now it's the BEST audio dsp development environment that exists.
That's because of the speed the visual interface allows, I can be about 10
times as productive as before.

It's a wonderful tool, for experimentation, prototyping, teaching, or design
of media for use in other applications - but it stops one station short of
being complete. The suggestion that one can use it to prototype code, and that
if you want code "just write it in C" is simply peverse imho.  I'm sure I am
not the only one who sees that.

> and now with the "kiosk" mode from iohannes i dont see why you people
> dont make an installer with your favorite tool... :/
> (or pay for someone to do it)

I'm sure "kiosk mode" is a fantastic step forward for those that want
to hide the gubbins from non technical users. That's not what I'm talking about.
As far as paying someone to do it, I'm in no position to do that. I'm not
developing commercial applications. Rather the converse, I'd be interested to
know if anyone would like to pay *me* to work on such a project. But I kind of
get the feeling rather few people here see the value in a such a step forwards.

It doesn't bother me though. I see a free software tool that does what Pd does
and outputs code as an inevitability, sooner or later, it's just the logical
thing to do. It's just that I'm rather scratching my head wondering why it doesn't
do so already. Perhaps I've forgotten some fundamental reason why exploding the netlist
into a code listing might not be trivial, reenterancy maybe, I've not properly
studied the source of the server to see how it instantiates and schedules objects.
But I don't see why that should disqualify from me from commenting on this obvious
step forwards.

Does anybody who deeply understands Puredata have any comment on why this
wouldn't be easy?

Or a reference to previous attempts that failed so I might study the problems.