[PD] patch size

shift8 shift8 at digitrash.com
Wed Jul 26 22:08:33 CEST 2006

regular single touch screens are probably pretty good these days, but
you're right - would't be very good for patching because of a number of
reasons.  mode switching from screen to keyboard (not a big deal, and
maybe less of a big deal then doing so w/ the mouse?), screen resolution
to finger size (maybe zooming could resolve this?), and the lack of
multiple touch functionality, and i sure other problems.

if multitouch functionality were supported, there are all kinds of
obvious and nonobvious advantages to touch screen tech...

imagine: gestures to zoom/unzoom, on-screen application-specific virtual
keboards (no. more. multikey. keybindings. ever!), and so many other
wonderful things i can't even image now.

the big problem is lack of support on all os's that i know of for
muiltiple simultanious "pointer" input (same as "touches") - if the os
doesn't support it, applications can't ether, so it's a pretty low level
problem and barrier to this kind of user interaction.  the MPX server
project is really exciting because it finally adresses this and makes it
possible to have more complex user interaction and alowing that to
expand out to program development.  seriously, it's 2006 already!