[PD] how to set variable types

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 19:26:59 CEST 2006

On 7/29/06, derek holzer <derek at x-i.net> wrote:
> As far as I can tell, and I've posted on it extensively here in the
> past, this speed difference is due to the interference of the graphical
> interface on OSX, and it seems to affect audio-related patches worse
> than GEM-related ones. The extra layer of Aqua + Tcl/Tk takes far too
> much resources, and responds very badly under pressure--sometimes simply
> freezing up as no doubt you've already seen. I suppose this could be
> dealt with by compiling PD with an X11 version of Tcl/Tk and some other
> junk, but honestly I've been too busy performing and making sound the
> last year to try to sort out all of OSX's problems.

But OSX is so sharp-looking!  lol
I've had many a number-box freeze up on me, and someone here suggested
that, if a particular numberbox was important, to use a num2 GUI, from
the lower part of the put menu, or Ctl-Shift-n.  These always update.
However, if you're running a pretty busy patch, best not to put too
many of these in there, as they will force everything to wait for the
GUI.