[PD] how to set variable types

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Sat Jul 29 21:37:06 CEST 2006

Well, I see exactly what you are trying to do, but it's not exactly the
right way to do it.

In this case, you would have to set the value of $3 external to the
abstraction. Since the [ctlin] object doesn't take any inputs, it can
only get variables from creation arguments.

If you really wanted to dynamically create this abstraction, which would
automatically create the LSB channel of the control in message, you
could create another abstraction within the abstraction, and add 32 to
the channel number in the first-level abstraction which would pass it as
a creation argument to the inner-most abstraction.

Does that make sense?

Otherwise, and probably what I would do, would be to simply create the
abstraction you made already with three creation arguments and do the
math yourself, i.e. make $3 equal to $1 + 32. Unless you're stubborn and
you simply *must* have the computer do all the work for you ;-)

Or maybe you have a more compelling reason why PD should dynamically
create these [ctlin]s without you having to think about it...?

best,
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl