[PD] Human interface Devices for PD

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Sun Jul 30 23:55:59 CEST 2006

Hi Wade,

 > I was hoping for a midi footswitch that can can operate like a
 > pitch-bending wheel on a keyboard, and/or a rotating pad like a
 > turntable that I can interface with PD somehow. Just using MIDI
 > keyboards and audio input signals to control syntesis is kind of
limiting.

I use a simple expression pedal (Behringer makes one for about EUR 25),
and run [noise~] out one of my Hammerfall HDSP channels through it and
back in, then use [env~] on the other side to see how much the pedal
attenuates. This works quite well for my purposes. I usually assign this
pedal to either a channel gain or some kind of filter parameter. Seems
like this would cover what you want out of the midi footswitch you
describe (except the center divet on the pitchbend wheel).

 > What would be even better would be if someone can point me to a kit I
 > could build myself that I could hook up to a variable resistor, like a
 > pan-pot, that could interface with PD in a continuous way (obviously
 > there would be some sampling rate involved).

* Arduino
* MultiIO by Christian Klippel
* Doepfer also makes some MIDI kits
* hack a USB joystick and replace the joysticks with a suitable pot
* check some of the "sensors" threads on this list for other ideas

You're right, though, there should be a page somewhere on this stuff!

best,
d.

thewade wrote:
> Hello again my favorite list!
>
> I am wondering if there are any human interface devices that provide a
> continuous amound of control, like Ms Pinky does for Max?
>
> I was hoping for a midi footswitch that can can operate like a
> pitch-bending wheel on a keyboard, and/or a rotating pad like a
> turntable that I can interface with PD somehow. Just using MIDI
> keyboards and audio input signals to control syntesis is kind of limiting.
>
> Has anyone here hooked up Scratch or Ms Pinky to PD?
>
> What would be even better would be if someone can point me to a kit I
> could build myself that I could hook up to a variable resistor, like a
> pan-pot, that could interface with PD in a continuous way (obviously
> there would be some sampling rate involved).
>
> Lastly, in the future is there a resource somewhere I should check first
> before asking questions like this here? I didn't see anything at
> puredata.org on this...
>
> Thanks everyone!
> -wade

derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 136:
"Remove specifics and convert to ambiguities"