[PD] Human interface Devices for PD

thewade pdman at aproximation.org
Mon Jul 31 00:43:52 CEST 2006

Quoting Martin Peach <martin.peach at sympatico.ca>:

> thewade wrote:
>>
>> What would be even better would be if someone can point me to a kit
>>  I could build myself that I could hook up to a variable resistor,
>> like a pan-pot, that could interface with PD in a continuous way
>> (obviously there would be some sampling rate involved).
>>
> The attached schematic shows the simplest way I've found to make a MIDI
> interface. The PIC 16F88 has 7 analog channels (pins RA4-0 and RB7 and
> 6) that could be interfaced to potentiometers of less than about
> 10kilohms for 10-bit resolution. If you have access to a PIC programmer
> I can provide the code in an open-source way.
>
> Martin

Thanks Martin!

With all the work that I imagine goes into designing a custom MIDI
interface I usually just find some cheap MIDI keyboards on ebay and
chop them up, but then again I don't know much about MIDI.

Maybe you can answer a couple of general questions for me?

Is MIDI capable of doing continuous stuff?

What is it's maximum sampling/transmission rate for MIDI?

Thanks for the schematic! I think what intimidated me most is the
interfacing of the software to the hardware: my C/C++ code is a bit
rusty...
That schematic is pretty cool though! So many possabilities!

-wade